Audition Requirements: Undergraduate
- Prepared music of the student’s choice (same for all incoming undergraduate students)
- Baroque composition, such as a J.S. Bach Invention or Prelude & Fugue; or a Handel Suite or Scarlatti Sonata
- Classical Sonata (first movement) by Haydn, Clementi, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert. Moonlight Sonata not acceptable.
- Composition from a different classical style period: Romantic, Impressionist or Contemporary
- At this time, all auditions are taking place on-line at a pre-scheduled day and time, coordinated with the piano faculty.
Audition Requirements: Graduate
As an instrumental music major at UM Music, you can apply for the Music Major Advantage initiative.
Questions? Connect to UM Music.
Undergraduate students may choose to pursue either a Bachelor of Arts in Music or a Bachelor of Music degree. Students choosing the Bachelor of Music degree may specialize in one of the areas of emphasis: Music Education or Music Performance. Students choosing the Bachelor of Arts in Music complement their major study of music with a minor in another field of study.
Note: due to the interruptions in testing opportunities caused by COVID-19, the requirement for GRE test scores for admission to graduate degrees in Music Education, Musicology, Ethnomusicology, and Music Theory has been temporarily suspended.
We also offer a Ph.D. in Music with emphasis in music education. This doctoral program in music is designed for students who wish to pursue advanced study in preparation for university teaching, research, and other leadership roles in music education.